A Rose is a flowering shrub of the genus Rosa, and the flower of this shrub. There are more than a hundred species of wild roses, all from the northern hemisphere and mostly from temperate regions. The species form a group of generally thorny shrubs or climbers, and sometimes trailing plants, reaching 2–5 m tall, rarely reaching as high as 20 m by climbing over other plants.
Scientific classification Kingdom: Plantae, Division: Magnoliophyta, Class: Magnoliopsida, Order: Rosales, Family: Rosaceae, Subfamily: Rosoideae, Genus: Rosa L.
Symbolism Roses come in a variety of hues, each with a different symbolic meaning:
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
- Red: love
- Pink: grace, lesser feelings of love
- Dark Pink: gratitude
- Light Pink: admiration, sympathy
- White: innocence, purity, secrecy, friendship, reverence and humility.
- Yellow: dying love or platonic love
- Yellow with red tips: Friendship, falling in love
- Orange: passion
- Burgundy: beauty
- Blue: mystery
- Green: calm
- Black: slavish devotion (as a true black rose was long considered impossible to produce)
- Purple: protection (paternal/maternal love)
Ezelsbruggetjes offers free use of all pictures (without link or reference).
If you use the pictures for your own home page, please ensure that they are saved on your server.
No external links to the pictures!